World Food Programme, Indonesia invites applications from the eligible candidates for the following position:
Position: Language Assistant
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (3 months) Duty Station: Banda Aceh, Indonesia
Accountabilities: Within delegated authority, the Language Assistant will provide interpretation and translation services to the technical advisor and to WFP sub office in Banda Aceh.
The primary activities assigned for this position are as follows:
- Develop a relevant understanding of the project subject matter through undertaking a desk review of related documentation in order to summarize and capture priority points and perform preliminary linguistic and terminological research;
- Arrange, facilitate and attend meetings, liaise and collaborate with relevant Government agencies, UN agencies, commercial operators, implementing partners that are involved in the assessment to collate information required;
- Proofread translated texts to ensure that the translation is complete and consistent with the original layout; and that all written corrections by revisers are properly reflected;
- Provide interpretation services for meetings, interviews and discussions; producing corresponding transcripts and minutes;
- Provide professional level of service with accurate work to tight deadlines and also develop a good understanding of the project itself;
- Prepare presentations for meetings/briefings and publications using publishing programmes;
- Prepare draft translations, identify, extract and insert excerpts of documents already translated into documents for translation;
- Review documents for accuracy, spelling, grammar and style-guide standards; verify references and official titles against WFP databases and records;
- Type and layout documentation such as letters, reports, publications, PowerPoint presentations, etc;
- Set up, classify and maintain files with background documentation of parliamentary and other documents;
- Input data on the unit’s database of documents in process and keep the files up-to-date;
- Design and update charts and tables utilizing graphic software;
- Operate a variety of office equipment such as computers, monitors, printers, scanners, DVD writers etc;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experiences:
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: At least four years of progressively responsible work experience in conference work, including at least one year in the production of parliamentary documents.
Knowledge & desirable skills: Training and/or in advanced computer literacy and proofreading if parliamentary and non-EB documents.
Ability to write and spell correctly.
Experience in processing of parliamentary documents with complex format and styles.
Training and/or experience in conference-related assignments.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language and national language of the duty station.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to apply. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Applications should be addressed by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications should include an updated CV (in English), a photograph and three references and should be received no later than 8 September 2011. Please state the title of the post in the email subject.
“Only short-listed candidates will be contacted”